Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Running love.

Do I love running ? Certainly. Do I hate running? Absolutely.  Confused? Thought so.
Let me be frank.  Running sucks! But there's something about it that I LOVE. Seriously though. Is it the 'runners high' ? Maybe. But that doesn't always happen DURING the run, but mostly after. Am I right?

During the run, I'm usually talking myself into it for the first half mile. At the mile marker I'm evaluating my run.(AKA talking to myself) And my body. "Is my form ok? Am I leaning forward enough? Are my strides short?" Then body "Is my knee hurting? Please don't hurt. My calf is hurting. What the eff? Why does it hurt? Why am I breathing this way?"  There's more, but you get the idea.

At some point along the way though I am really diggin the run.(Yes, I said 'diggin') I mean what's NOT to love about getting out there in nature and taking in the fresh air and the cleansing heat. DID I SAY CLEANSING HEAT?! What the eff Liz?! It is cleansing in a sense. The sweat dripping down your face, legs, arms and um...

Okay, maybe cleansing is the wrong word.  There is no other word for "going out on a hot/humid day to run and sweat your ass off."  This is what I'm talking about.  Who does this and loves it? Not me! So, then I ask you, 'WHY are we doing it?!'

MY TOP TEN:


10.  If I'm going with "sweat is fat crying"  then here's my number 10. Cry me a river. (video only cuz I love JT)

9.  It's cheaper than therapy.  Not so fast!  In my case, therapy is WAY cheaper. But going out and having conversations with yourself while running (like me) is kinda like "sticking it to the man"

8. I love shoes. Lots of shoes. And since I streak, I NEED lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of shoes! Shoes for the road, shoes for the trail. Thick soled shoes, thin soled shoes. And everything in between. Altra is my shoe of choice for ANY surface.

7. I love gadgets. bluetooth headset, Garmin, Fitbithydration pack. You name it, I'll want to try it.

6. I love food! This is a no brainer. Talk to any runner and they'll tell you they run so they can eat whatever they want.  (and drink)


5. I love the pain and torture from running. DUH!


4.  I love being outdoors and enjoying the fresh air. Minus the heat/humidity. Minus the freezing temps. I take that back. I love the freezing temps and seeing my breath in the air. Also, running in the snow or rain is a BONUS!

3. I love the sense of accomplishment of getting 1 mile done or 10. No matter the pace.

2. I love pushing myself beyond my limits. I am never sure how far that it is from day to day. There is  so much excitement in that.

And the number one reason:

It's the only thing keeping me from choking people.  Just kidding.  No, really.  I don't like myself when I don't run. And most of my family doesn't like ME when I don't run.

At the end of the day, running is a gift for me. I will never take for granted that I have 2 capable and strong legs that bear the weight of my journey.  Every step I take gives me peace in my mind, my body and  my soul.

You know what? I was right about the cleansing after all.  Time to go sweat. ;)




Up next: Beyond 14 (and reviews of tailwind, avantree jogger and mazama sidestream)


1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog post! I pretty much related to all of it!!! I definitely love and hate running haha! I definitely had a cleansing sweat myself this morning. And yeah, I don't like myself either when I don't run hahaha!

    ReplyDelete